You are here
KnowBC was launched in 2001 as the online edition of Harbour Publishing’s Encyclopedia of British Columbia. The encyclopedia remains the cornerstone of KnowBC, but there is much more on the site today.
This new version of KnowBC represents a comprehensive redevelopment that will consolidate KnowBC’s standing as British Columbia’s leading general reference site. The original hard-coded pages were replaced by a state-of-the-art Content Management System (CMS) that will allow enhancements and additions to occur more readily than in the past.
The hardcover version of the Encyclopedia of BC (EBC) finally went out of print after selling 30,000 copies, but it continues to be updated and expanded in this online version. Editor Daniel Francis still combs through the newspapers every morning looking at deaths, mergers, election results, name changes and other developments that affect existing EBC entries.
In addition, we have added a number of major Pacific Northwest resources to the KnowBC portal, including many of Harbour Publishing’s most significant publications:
- Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest: A Photographic Encyclopedia of Invertebrates, Seaweeds and Selected Fishes
- The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names
- Raincoast Chronicles 20: Lilies and Fireweed: Frontier Women of British Columbia
- Far West: The Story of British Columbia
- From the West Coast to the Western Front: British Columbians and the Great War
- Tofino and Clayoquot Sound: A History
- The Sea Among Us: The Amazing Strait of Georgia
- Pacific Seaweeds: Updated and Expanded Edition
The site also includes a series of guides on natural history:
- A Field Guide to the Identification of Pebbles
- A Field Guide to Trees of the Pacific Northwest
- A Field Guide to Shells and Shellfish of the Pacific Northwest
- A Field Guide to Birds of the Pacific Northwest
- A Field Guide to Wildlife of the Rocky Mountains
- A Field Guide to Medicinal Wild Plants of Canada
The reconfigured site also includes new user interface pages targeted at teachers and student users and public and academic library users. Finally, the new website has a brand new design with improved navigation pages and functionality to better serve our readers.
Last updated: August 24, 2021
Full Resource Details
Usage statistics are available from the publisher upon request. The publisher can provide libraries with monthly log in counts. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.