You are here
Arca Digital Repository
Arca is a collaborative initiative that puts the development and implementation of a digital repository within reach for every institution, at a reasonable cost, and in a supported environment.
Through centralised coordination and a collaborative approach, Arca:
- Ensures institutions can offer a high-quality, responsive digital repository service at an affordable cost.
- Maximises system efficiencies through centralised licensing, expertise, best practices, and support.
- Builds a community of practice that extends expertise, nurtures innovation and cultivates collaboration.
- Facilitates search across digital assets from all participating institutions.
- Seeks opportunities to strengthen and build new partnerships.
Arca partners value...
- Knowledge Sharing - creating openness to shared digital assets
- Collaboration - emphasising collective action and collaboration across diverse institutions
- Building Trust - through transparency and accountability
- Sustainability - cost-sharing whenever feasible and practical
- Excellence - continuous improvement and innovation to support high-quality education
Visit the Arca repository for more information about Arca.
Administrator resources and support, including documentation, metadata guidelines, and the Arca sandbox, can be found on the Arca support site.
Questions? Contact the Arca Administrative Centre.
Arca is built on Islandora, a Canadian-developed open-source platform currently in use at over 100 public and private institutions worldwide. This shared platform provides post-secondary institutions with open-access repositories for research, theses, and any other digital assets they wish to make available to the wider community.
Activities to Date
The Arca collaborative digital repository was first conceived of in 2011 and continues to grow and develop. Following are historical milestones and activities to date:
- Project Development Plan - as of Feb 2017
- Project Timeline (past and current activities 2011 - present)
- BC ELN and COPPUL Working Together:Arca Collaborative Digital Repository and COPPUL Digital Preservation Network November 30, 2016
- Announcing Arca Actions & Achievements 2015 June 7, 2016
- Announcing the Arca Discovery Layer Task Group! November 23, 2015
- Announcing the Launch of Arca! October 28, 2015
- Phase Two Funding Confirmed July 7, 2015
- Announcing the BC IR Network Implementation Working Group! May 29, 2015
- Announcing the BC IR Network Early Adopters! March 27, 2015
- Platform Selected for BC IR Network Communique sent to the BC library community March 16, 2015