You are here
EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) Renewal 2019-2020
Begins:July 1, 2019
Ends:June 30, 2020
EBSCO Discovery Service
EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) takes research to the next level through a perfect combination of content and technology, taking into account all of the critical elements in the research process, and changing the expectations of how a discovery solution can and should address the needs of its users, whether it's:
- A simple search by an undergraduate student
- A sophisticated search by a post-graduate researcher
- A library administrator looking to quickly and conveniently streamline resources
EDS provides a fast, streamlined search through a single search box, but within the context of a greater experience that pulls together intuitive features and functionality, high-end indexing via Inclusion of Subject Indexes, and instant access to critical full text, leveraged from the leading EBSCOhost research platform and databases, as well as from key information providers. And as EDS continues to evolve, the end goal remains the same—helping users to find and access the highest-quality content for the best-possible research experience.
Full Text Finder
Today’s users expect an intuitive, time-saving experience when searching for journals and articles. With Full Text Finder (FTF) library users enjoy as much. FTF delivers a predictive search experience and includes a host of features from responsive auto-complete ranked by popularity of titles, to known-item search, to full-text linking, relevance ranking, and discipline-specific browsing.
Full Text Finder delivers a modern experience by providing:
- Seamless Discovery Integration - A single place for users to conduct standard discovery as well as known-item citation lookup in a seamless and integrated manner.
- Responsive Auto-complete - The most advanced auto-complete technology in the industry. It anticipates what a user is looking for, eliminates the need to navigate an antiquated alphabet directory, and does away with the endless hunt-and-peck browsing to find a specific title. As such, FTF is orders of magnitude faster and more efficient for library users.
- Publication-Targeted Full Text Search - The ability for users to quickly and easily target their search to the full text within a title.
- Discipline-Specific Browse - A simplified subject browse with built-in searching, eliminating a place where most users traditionally give up when they try to find titles related to a particular topic.
- State-of-the-Art Linking - Seamless integration of OpenURL linking and smartlinks that are guaranteed to get users directly to the full text without traditional linker menus.
- Faceting of Publication Search Results - The ability for users to quickly narrow search results to only those that are most relevant.
Last updated: April 17, 2015
To RENEW, no response is required from current subscribers as listed above. To CANCEL or JOIN, libraries should contact BC ELN by the response deadline.
Late joins are welcome.
Pricing and Trial Access
Terms & Conditions
EDS Negotiation Background
Partner libraries who subscribe to EDS are agreeing to the following:
- 1 Year License with a 3-Year Commitment - EBSCO has agreed to an annual license; however, to lock in these deep discounts, BC ELN negotiated a 3-year good faith commitment for participants, as has been the case in the past. Of course, in the case of economic emergencies, institutions may drop at the annual renewal with no penalty. July 1, 2019 represents the beginning of the 3rd year of this 3 year term.
- Price increases - Except for those institutions that joined EDS lin 2017/18 with "ramp up pring", BC ELN has negotiated that price increases for EDS subscribers will be 0% in 2018/19 and 2% this year 2019/2020.
Helpsheets and Testimonials
EBSCO has provided BC ELN partner libraries with a helpsheet that details some of the advantages of working with EDS.
A number of current EDS subscribers in BC, and across Canada, have submitted testimonials detailing their experience with the product.
Learn more about how these libraries are using EDS to facilitate discovery of information resources:
- Okanagan College
- University of the Fraser Valley
- MacEwan University
- Brock University
- University of PEI
III and EDS
We are aware that EBSCO and Innovative Interfaces, Inc. (III) have joined together to enable tightly-integrated access between EDS and Innovative's Encore Synergy discovery platform, where Encore is the front end system for EDS content. Please note, we have been told that those institutions wishing to work with III on integrated access between Encore and EDS must negotiate with III individually. Those institutions will therefore not be subscribing through BC ELN, nor will they be counted towards the participation discount.