You are here
EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) Renewal 2017-2018
Begins:July 1, 2017
Ends:June 30, 2018
17 May 2017
To: Collection Development Team
The deadline to renew or join BC ELN’s license for EBSCO’s Discovery Service (EDS) and/or Full Text Finder for 2017/18 is now past. Following is the final list of participants. If you notice any errors or omissions, please notify us as soon as possible.
EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) with FTF:
• Acsenda School of Management
• Alexander College
• Camosun College
• Capilano University
• College of New Caledonia
• College of the Rockies
• Douglas College
• Emily Carr University of Art + Design
• Justice Institute of British Columbia
• Nicola Valley Institute of Technology
• North Island College
• Northern Lights College
• Northwest Community College
• Okanagan College
• Quest University Canada
• Selkirk College
• Thompson Rivers University
• Trinity Western University
• University Canada West
• University of the Fraser Valley
• Vancouver Community College
Full Text Finder (FTF) Standalone:
• Yukon College
Leigh Anne Palmer
BC Electronic Library Network
Electronic Health Library of BC
Late joins are welcome.
EDS Negotiation Background
Partner libraries who subscribe to EDS are agreeing to the following:
- License Start Date - July 1, 2017 is the license start date. However, BC ELN has negotiated rolling implementation. That means that those institutions who join the EDS subscription early could get free access once EDS has been set up for their institution.
- 3-Year Commitment - EBSCO has agreed to an annual license; however, to lock in these deep discounts, BC ELN continues to negotiate a 3-year good faith commitment for participants. Of course, in the case of economic emergencies, institutions may drop at the annual renewal with no penalty.
- Price increases - BC ELN has negotiated that price increases for EDS will be no more than 2% until 2020.
Helpsheets and Testimonials
EBSCO has provided BC ELN partner libraries with a helpsheet that details some of the advantages of working with EDS.
A number of current EDS subscribers in BC, and across Canada, have submitted testimonials detailing their experience with the product.
Learn more about how these libraries are using EDS to facilitate discovery of information resources:
- Okanagan College
- University of the Fraser Valley
- MacEwan University
- Brock University
- University of PEI
III and EDS
We are aware that EBSCO and Innovative Interfaces, Inc. (III) have joined together to enable tightly-integrated access between EDS and Innovative's Encore Synergy discovery platform, where Encore is the front end system for EDS content. Please note, we have been told that those institutions wishing to work with III on integrated access between Encore and EDS must negotiate with III individually. Those institutions will therefore not be subscribing through BC ELN, nor will they be counted towards the participation discount.
Next Steps After Joining the BCELN EDS License
If your institution is ready to join the consortial license, contact BC ELN then see the "Going Live with EDS" instructions at http://www.eln.bc.ca/view.php?id=2159.