You are here
Steering Committee Meetings Policy
March 15, 1996
May 20, 2004 revised
The British Columbia Electronic Library Network (BC ELN) believes that it is important to recognize and fund its governance costs, and that members of the BC ELN Steering Committee should be fairly and consistently reimbursed for expenses incurred in the service of the organization. At the same time, BC ELN is conscious of the need to exercise prudence in the expenditure of public funds, to ensure the most effective allocation of its limited financial resources, and to operate in accordance with the Simon Fraser University's Expense Claim and Travel Policy.
This policy applies to members of the BC ELN Steering Committee (with the exception of the representative of the Ministry of Advanced Education), for attendance at scheduled BC ELN Steering Committee meetings.
BC ELN Steering Committee meetings are normally held three times per year - 2 in-person meetings and 1 virtual meeting. The meetings shall be scheduled to allow committee members to participate fully, while minimizing overall travel and accommodation expenses. Therefore, the following principles will apply:
- 3.1 BC ELN Steering Committee meetings shall be scheduled, as much as possible, so that members can travel to and from the meeting in the same day, thereby avoiding the need for overnight accommodation.
- 3.2 BC ELN shall make all efforts to schedule meetings on a Friday or Monday, to allow members who require overnight stays to reduce their total travel costs through a Saturday night stayover.
- 3.3 Committee members shall, wherever possible, make advance travel arrangements and choose the most economical modes of transportation for the situation.
- 3.4 BC ELN may schedule Steering Committee meetings to coincide with other meetings or seminars (e.g. Council of Post-Secondary Library Directors, BCLA workshops, conferences, etc.) in order to help reduce the amount of overall travel required of committee members.
4. Eligible Expenses
All provisions that follow are to be applied in accordance with the Simon Fraser University's Expense Claim and Travel Policy.
- 4.1 The following expenses are eligible for reimbursement without advance approval from BC ELN:
- 4.1.1 Transportation (including airfare, ferry, ground transportation, and private automobile)
- 4.1.2 Parking expenses
- 4.2 The following expenses are eligible for reimbursement but require approval in advance from the BC ELN Executive Director:
- 4.2.1 Overnight accommodation
- 4.2.2 Other non-transportation expenses that result from extenuating circumstances
- 4.3 The following expenses are not eligible for reimbursement:
- 4.3.1 Actual or per diem meal expenses
- 4.3.2 Expenses that pertain to non-BC ELN business (i.e. in situations where BC ELN travel is combined with travel for other professional or institutional business)
- 4.3.3 Parking tickets, fines or other vehicle/traffic violations